If you need assistance, please call 707-486-5400

5 Things to Do When You Get PCS Orders

You just received your Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. And, after the panic subsides, you know you’ll need to get yourself and your family organized for the relocation process. Once your PCS orders are in hand, make sure to take the following steps:

1. Make an appointment with your base transportation office. Your service branch determines which government office will handle your relocation:

  • The Department of Defense: Joint Personal Property Shipping Office.
  • Air Force: Traffic Management Office.
  • Army: Installation Transportation Office.
  • Navy and Marine Corps: Personal Property Shipping Office
  • Coast Guard: Household Goods Shipping Office.

Be sure to schedule a meeting with your office as soon as possible. During your meeting, be sure to find out about all of the moving options that are available to you, including a DITY move, and begin making preliminary arrangements for your move.

2. Contact the family center at your new location. Family centers are an excellent resource for moving information for you and your family. They also offer relocation assistance programs! Ask questions, and learn about your new community and what it offers.

3. Are you currently living in government quarters? Notify the housing office of your projected move date, and familiarize yourself with all the regulations about cleaning your home before moving out.

Questions or comments? For additional information, fill out the form on the right.

By clicking 'Submit' you are expressly consenting, in writing, to receive telemarketing and other messages, including artificial or prerecorded voices, via automated calls or texts from viewhomesinsolanocounty.com at the number you provided above. This consent is not required to purchase any good or service. More details in privacy policy and terms of use.